Ben Spurr – Operations and Bookings Manager
I have worked at the University of Lincoln Sports Centre for around 17 years. I spent around 2 years as a Sports Assistant, and have since gained 15 years of managerial experience.
I completed a BA Hons Degree in Sport and Leisure Studies at Staffordshire University in 2004. Prior to working at the University Sports Centre I worked at West Lindsey Leisure Centre as a Sports Assistant, Lifeguard, and Summer Camp Leader.
I have various qualifications, including ‘UoL Introduction to Management’, ‘Level 2 Fitness Instructing’, ‘Level 2 in Studio Resistance Training’, ‘Level 2 Exercise to Music’, ‘FA Certificate in Coaching Football’, ‘Boxercise Instructor’, ‘FA Small Sided Referee’ and am currently in the latter stages of my ‘Exercise Referral Level 3’ qualification.
I love providing a professional and safe environment for young people to express themselves and be the best version of who they are, via the medium of sport and exercise.
I won the BUSA (British Universities Sports Association) 3a League (later became BUCS) with the Staffordshire University Men’s Football team, scoring 13 goals in 10 games. This became a wonderful memory from my time at University. Therefore, I respect and appreciate the importance of sport and exercise playing a vital role in keeping students mentally and physically fit and active, whilst creating memories and friendships which may last a lifetime.
Goals & Aspirations
These days, particularly in such uncertain and changing times, I try my utmost to be the best human I can, by attempting to uphold the morals I value deeply. This means doing my best to support my family and close friends and taking responsibility for my health, fitness, and spiritual wellbeing.
I have achieved my creative aspirations in several ways. In 2004 I won a national design competition with New Era and was flown to New York for an all-inclusive 4 day holiday and my designs were sold in high street stores on my return. I have a back catalogue of musical releases from over the last 15 years which are on all credible online platforms and have been played on several radio stations such as BBC Introducing, Lincs FM, BBC Radio Lincolnshire, and Siren FM.
My aim moving forward is to do my best to set an example on both a professional and personal level, whilst still being a fun and relatable character.
Hobbies & Interests
- Running – I have just surpassed 1,000 runs on my Runkeeper app that I have had since 2013 at an average of 3.87miles per run. This includes 2 Marathons and several Half Marathons. My goal in 2021 is to beat my previous year’s record of 751 miles and 200 runs in a year.
- Fitness – I also incorporate bodyweight and free weight exercises within my weekly regime and my goal is to complete 100 sessions of this nature in 2021.
- Reading Books and Listening to Audio Books/Podcasts – I love self-educating myself on subjects that are important to me. Some of my favourite authors and teachers are Dr. Jordan B. Peterson, Yuval Noah Harari, Russell Brand, Eckhart Tolle, and Ram Dass.
- Football – I still enjoy playing and watching football when time allows.
- Music – I love listening to, writing, creating, and experiencing music. My favourite genres include Hip Hop, Grime, Alt. Rock, Grunge, and Classic Pop from over the decades. In my younger years, I wrote for the University magazine ‘Bullet’ and was lucky enough to interview some of my favourite musicians and artists.
- Boxing, UFC & BKB Fan – I am a big admirer of certain athletes from the world of combat sports. They inspire me with their discipline and the relentless nature of the sport. I see elite MMA fighters as the ultimate athletes and their bravery, hard work, and discipline motivate me to be better within my own areas of sporting and fitness interest.
Top 3 most impressive life achievements
- Raising money for charities such as Mind, Children in Need, and St Barnabas, over the years, via both sporting and live music events.
- Being the best Father I can, thus far.
- Inspiring others to be their best. Since losing over 2 stone in the last 2 years, I have had several kind messages of support from people telling me that my fitness journey has inspired them with their own lifestyle in both mental and physical terms
Top 3 fun facts
- I have rapped the ‘World in Motion’ verse with John Barnes himself and have it all on video.
- My Keepy Uppy record is 2,371 and the ball was in the air for around 40 minutes.
- My self-penned song ‘Lionhearts’ was posted on the official FA website.
- Life is a constant balancing act. In my estimation, best summarised by the Jordan Peterson quote below.
“Order is not enough. You can’t just be stable, and secure, and unchanging, because there are still vital and important new things to be learned. Nonetheless, chaos can be too much. You can’t long tolerate being swamped and overwhelmed beyond your capacity to cope while you are learning what you still need to know. Thus, you need to place one foot in what you have mastered and understood and the other in what you are currently exploring and mastering. Then you have positioned yourself where the terror of existence is under control and you are secure, but where you are also alert and engaged. That is where there is something new to master and some way that you can be improved. That is where meaning is to be found.”
― Jordan B. Peterson, 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos
- “You must be the change you want to see in the world.” Gandhi
- “Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it’s better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.” Marilyn Monroe
- “I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing.” Socrates
Lee Gray – Health, Fitness & Wellbeing Manager
I have worked at the University of Lincoln Sports Centre for almost 3 years, starting as a shift supervisor and then moving into my current role of Health, Fitness & Wellbeing Manager. I have worked within the health and fitness industry for 14 years in a number of roles such as Lifeguard, Fitness Instructor, Duty Manager & Fitness Manager.
I am a qualified Fitness Instructor and Level 3 Exercise Referral Instructor with 7 years of experience helping people achieve a wide range of fitness related goals. I have also gained many years of experience delivering a variety of group exercise classes. I also hold a Level 3 Leisure Management qualification with over 7 years of management experience within the Leisure & Fitness industry.
Goals & Aspirations
One of my main goals within my career is to continue to increase awareness of the incredible benefits of living a healthy and active lifestyle and ultimately create an environment within my workplace where people feel safe, accepted and inspired to develop themselves through fitness. I am also very passionate about the benefits of exercise and it’s profoundly positive impact on mental health. I hope to continue to raise awareness of these benefits and constantly push to increase opportunities for people to access support and guidance within this area.
Hobbies & Interests
I am a huge Basketball fan. I play 2-3 times a week and have followed the NBA since I was 12 years old (I’m a Blazers fan if that means anything to anyone). I also love to keep myself active and train 4-5 times a week. I love the outdoors (we all need a bit of nature in our lives I believe). I enjoy hiking, camping, outdoor swimming, snowboarding and love to play as many sports as possible. Music is also a big part of my life. I listen to music every day, love going to gigs and have played both guitar and drums for a more than half of my life.
- I am proud to have helped and supported many people in achieving life changing fitness and lifestyle goals throughout my career.
- I was part of the management team that won leisure club of the year in a chain of over 40 leisure centres.
Top 3 fun facts
- I have produced a song that was released on the album of a UK Rapper.
- I have played basketball against the NBA player Ben Simmons.
- I travelled around New Zealand in a camper van for 6 weeks.
- Find time to do what makes you happy and surround yourself with positive people.
- “The effect you have on others is the most valuable currency there is” – Jim Carrey