Do you have or know someone with arthritis? Are you looking to become more physically active, but are unsure where to start and what is safe for you to do ?
“Regular, careful and safe exercise is one of the best things you can do to manage your condition and improve your health.There’s no evidence to suggest that exercise makes your arthritis worse. In fact, we know that gentle exercise can help with inflammation.” – Arthritis Research UK
Regular exercise is important if you have arthritis, it helps to limit pain and maintain mobility. Talking to a dedicated exercise referral specialist to help create a tailored fitness plan to improve your condition today. Sports such as swimming, cycling, yoga or pilates help, as they keep the direct pressure off your joints.
Exercise can help:
- maintain a wider range of movement and joint mobility
- increased muscle strength and helps reduce pain
- gives the body stronger bones – which can help protect against osteoporosis
- improved balance and co-ordination
- reduced stress
- improved sleep patterns and increased energy levels
- better breathing and weight management
- improved self-esteem.
Contact the Sports Centre for more information about the Exercise Referral Scheme and how you can exercise with us safely today!